"In many disciplines, for the majority of graduates, the Ph.D. indicates the logical conclusion of an academic career." Marc Bousquet

Friday, May 25, 2012

What's cuter than one fatass orange cat lounging on your couch?

Why, of course, TWO fatass orange cats lounging on your couch!

Lucky (left) and Hobart (right)
There's been a lot going on at work this week, as you might imagine from some previous posts, but nothing I really feel like blogging about. Nor is there any immediate post-academic griping I care to share.

The next "next" job, it seems, pretty much comes down to a a not unpleasant shifting of positions, so to speak:



There is also a next NEXT "next" job I've alluded to cagily before. Let's just say there were some interviews a few weeks ago, a phone interview before all the Think Tank shit hit the fan and an in-person interview right in the thick of it. They went well. References were checked. And now I'm waiting. I expect it'll be at least another week or two before I hear anything. I don't want to say too much about it until I know one way or the other, but if I were offered this position, it would mean leaving New Think Tank just as it is getting its feet off the ground, something I hadn't imagined would be happening when I originally applied. And it's exciting to be at the start of a new venture, even if it's one in which my role is primarily "support." Leaving wouldn't be entirely easy ...

But, if you've figured out what the whole Think Tank shitstorm was about, you might find it interesting in a truly ironic way to note that one of the people at the in-person interview was one of the lead authors of the IPCC 2007 report. The job isn't an academic one but would involve working with academics, both scientists and humanities and social sciences people. It would, likewise, be the start of a new venture, a new initiative essentially, albeit within an existing and well-established organization. And it would mean moving beyond a "support" role.

So, one way or the other, there's much to happen ahead, new ventures both here and there, wherever I end up. We'll have to wait and see.

For now, though, it's teh weeekendzzzz!! And I intend to spend a good part of it encamped peacefully wit teh kittehs ... peacefully, that is, until Hobart decides to bite Lucky on his fat ass, which he inevitably will do, and then Lucky will smack the shit out of Hobart, which he inevitably will do, and then there's a kerfluffle ... and then everybody settles down  ... until it starts all over again.

MeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwEEEEEE!!!!!!!



3 comments:

  1. The job isn't an academic one but would involve working with academics, both scientists and humanities and social sciences people. It would, likewise, be the start of a new venture, a new initiative essentially, albeit within an existing and well-established organization. And it would mean moving beyond a "support" role.

    Sounds fucken awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a sweet gig for whoever gets it. Think Tank Boss, who graciously agreed to be a reference even though ze does not want me to leave, thinks I will get it based on the tone of the person who called checking references. I am not allowing myself that kind of optimism. I don't know how many others are in the running or what might make them better candidates than me. And I don't know exactly what the criteria are for choosing among us. For a lot of reasons, I'd like to think there cannot possibly be a better person for this particular job than me, given both what I did as an academic and where I've been the last year and a half since leaving academe, but life is full of surprises. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh la la! Sounds like you have landed in a sweet position either way. That is good news for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete