"In many disciplines, for the majority of graduates, the Ph.D. indicates the logical conclusion of an academic career." Marc Bousquet

Thursday, February 23, 2012

In Passing

I met another leaver today. I went to a meeting involving a project Think Tank is working on in collaboration with some other groups. Two people came from one of the other groups. One had been working on the project for a long time. The other was introduced as an intern. I thought ze looked a bit old to be an intern -- maybe late twenties or early thirties. Ze seemed smart, too. Took a lot of notes.

Later, as we were leaving and chatting on the train, ze asked me how long I had been at Think Tank and how I ended up here. I told hir.

Turned out ze had just left academe recently. Interdisciplinary social sciences and cultural studies program. This internship was hir "escape." There are more of us out there than you might think, hiding out in the strangest places!

I was just about to tell hir about my blog when the subway train doors opened and I had to get off.

I'm sure well talk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment