"In many disciplines, for the majority of graduates, the Ph.D. indicates the logical conclusion of an academic career." Marc Bousquet

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fuck You, Grad U!

Fuckers cut off my remote library access as of yesterday.

It would be worse if I didn't live in the same town, because, living here, I can still go there in person and use the subscription databases. And I can still check books out.

But Goddamnit! This pisses me off. It's inconvenient to go there just for, say, one or two articles.

I worked there since 2003. If they're not gonna pay adjuncts, the least they could do is offer lifetime library privileges.

Fuckers.

(and, no, I don't apologize for the profanity.)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, this really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lifetime? Why on earth should they pay for lifetime free access to their library subscriptions for people who are no longer affiliated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really know how those library subscriptions work, but on a campus of 40+ thousand students and staff, they're obviously not paying per individual user.

    Truth be told, continuing to have remote access is something I'd be willing to pay for, and I'm a little surprised that the option to do so is not offered -- if not to former staff -- at least to alumni (and I'm both).

    My ire yesterday was mostly just at being cut off unexpectedly. I knew it was coming sooner or later, but I had no warning. Yesterday, I tried to login, and "Oops! Sorry! Fuck you!" A friendly email -- oh, say, a month or a week...or a day -- in advance telling me I had X amount of time to do whatever would have been appreciated.

    But then, again, I can just haul my lazy ass up there anytime, so what's there to complain about, right?

    ReplyDelete