- People who are afraid to take risks WITH WORDS are fucking boring and need to leave the writing to those of us willing to do so.
- It's LAME-O to invite 60 fucking people to an event they will have to get on an AIRPLANE and fly 3000 miles across the country to get to, tell them you're covering their travel costs, and then tell them they should get the RED EYE back across the frakkin' country so that you can cheap out on their last night in the hotel. You just DON'T do that and expect those people to be your friend.
- If you're not a manager, don't try to act like one and expect people to respect you. They won't.
- If you are a manager, try to at least pretend to respect people, especially when they don't report directly to you but you need them to get shit done. If you treat them like shit, they might decide not to get teh shit done. Or they might just decide to LEAVE altogether, when you least expect it.
- If you're a manager, know the talents of the people on your team and deploy them in ways that benefit both the individuals and the group as a whole. When you have a team of 12 people and 6 are both talented and extremely underutilized, you're wasting your resources and everybody's time.
- I can't stand self-righteous ideologues. I don't care which side of the political divide you're on -- I HATE you!
- You're NOT going to save the world. Sorry, but that's for, like, comic book heroes and stuff.
- My next career move might be out of the nonprofit sector.
- Let me repeat: You're. NOT. Going. To. Save. Teh. World. And that is not MY fault!
- In an organization of 130 or so people, losing TWO DOZEN employees in a single year is NOT a good sign. Why are they all leaving? Hmmmmmmm ....
Monday, June 24, 2013
Thoughts of the Day
Here are 10 random things I've been thinking about today (spolier alert -- they're kinda negative):