What is with this monster Frankenstorm? It's supposed to make landfall somewhere along the mid-Atlantic early in the morning on Tuesday. I'm supposed to fly from DC to Boston around 7:00 AM, but I have a pretty strong sense that flight will be cancelled. Regardles of where Sandy comes ashore, travel all along the East Coast is going to be a mess Tuesday and probably for most of the day Monday, too. I can't decide whether (no pun intended) to just wait and see, which could mean missing the work thingie in Boston scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, or to be proactive and change my flight to, like, Sunday to get in ahead of the weather.
For the work thingie, it isn't absolutely crucial that I be there, but it's a once-a-year thingie and the powers-that-be have said it would be good for me to go -- not so much because I'd contribute anything but because I'd learn a lot about some Petting Zoo people, plans, dynamics, operations, and such. The Petting Zoo covers my travel, but they do request that we keep expenses "within reason." If I change my flight to Sunday, there's going to be a change fee and two extra nights in a hotel, which gets expensive in Boston, plus all the extra meals. It goes from being a $350 trip to closer to $1000 trip.
I'm sure the Big Dolphin would approve the extra expense, but I have the misfortune of having a conscience about such things. I really want to go, but since it's not crucial that I go, can I really justify the extra expense and the hassle to myself?
Meh. Stupid Frankenstorm! Readers, what would you do?