"In many disciplines, for the majority of graduates, the Ph.D. indicates the logical conclusion of an academic career." Marc Bousquet

Monday, December 19, 2011

Your Monday Funny (Er, Gallows Humor)


I can confirm this firsthand. When I was in graduate school, Peaches went through a stint of unemployment. I was teaching 3 classes, working on my dissertation, going to conferences, getting my first peer-reviewed article published ... the whole academic 9 yards. My entire monthly adjunct salary was ... not enough to cover our mortgage payments. You know how much Peaches got for sitting around all day playing computer games and waiting for recruiters to call? Enough to pay the mortgage. And the recruiters? They did call, and he got another job soon enough. Me? Well, you know the rest of my story ...

No comments:

Post a Comment